January 07, 2017

Cards I Like: 2009 O-Pee-Chee Black #460

Back in November, when I was pondering whether or not to get back into collecting and reviving the blog, I remember running across this post over at the Chronicles of Fuji.

I loved the post discussing and showing off black bordered cards, with music, all on Black Friday.

But I did notice that one of my favorite black-border parallel sets was missing from that post.  And that would be the black-border parallels from 2009 O-Pee-Chee.

2009 O-Pee-Chee had a very retro feel to it with old-school cardboard stock and non-glossy fronts.  I think that is the reason this is one of my favorite sets of the modern era. And the black-bordered parallels fit great with them, especially on the studio shots:


JJ Putz 2009 O-Pee-Chee Black



But the borders also looked great on cards with on-the-field shots as well:

Ryan Sweeney 2009 O-Pee-Chee Black
scam via Shoebox Legends


And that brings me to this next card of Roy Halladay.  It is by far and away the best black-bordered card I pulled from 2009 O-Pee-Chee.  I present to you card #460:


Roy Halladay 2009 O-Pee-Chee Black

Everything about this card is just great:
  • The black background 
  • The black border
  • The black hat
  • The black glove
  • Halladay's expression
  • The baseball grip dominating the foreground
  • The glare of light piercing the darkness from the left
Even Loki approves





No comments:

Post a Comment