September 22, 2012

The Gift of Giving

It's been a few days since I last posted because working 12-hour shifts has a way of putting a damper on one's free time. 

I had about 3000 cards sitting around in a box and I was wondering what do do with all of them.  These are mostly common, low-value cards that really aren't worth selling unless I sold them in bulk and I almost went that route but I decided to do something else with them.



If you haven't heard of Commons 4 Kids, it is a non-profit organization that takes your unwanted cards and distributes them to various charities in Kentucky.  I thought this was a great avenue for me to give a little bit to charity as well as free up some space in my house.  It cost me 10 dollars to ship the cards out but knowing that some of these cards may bring a smile to face of children in need made me feel like a million bucks.

So if you have a lot of cards sitting around collecting dust and are interested in donating them to a great charity, then contact Jerry at Commons 4 Kids.  He is on a quest to donate 1 million cards to kids.



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jerry from Commons4Kids.org!

    First, I just wanted to say thank you for promoting us but I did want to add something; we have actually donated cards to kids in Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio and going to Tennessee in October. We also have plans for trying to get to Georgia, Virginia, South and North Carolina and anywhere else are little mini van will take us :)

    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, the more the merrier!

      Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  3. Today we donated our 1,000,000th card to kids and I just wanted to take a second to say THANK YOU for supporting us and helping us reach this amazing goal!

    By the end of December, we should have an inventory of 200,000 cards or more, so we are already a fourth of the way to the next 1,000,000!

    I sincerely mean it when I say I am appreciative of everyone who has helped us in any way possible!

    Thanks!

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations. It's amazing that you reached your goal.

      I am glad that I was able to contribute to such a noble cause. Hopefully I can be a part of the next million as well!

      Delete