September 11, 2012

Check Out My Canes: The Mad Stork

Out of all the former Miami Hurricanes football players that I collect, I realized that my collection was missing one of the greatest Hurricanes to ever play in the NFL.  So I hit up COMC to add some cards of this all-time great to my Hurricanes collection.

The Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks.


These are some of the older base cards of Hendricks I picked up at great prices.  As you can see, I'm not the biggest stickler for card condition.  Hendricks' 1972 rookie card has a small crease on the right side while his 1978 Topps issue is horribly miscut.  I think these flaws just add a little flavor to these cards.  The 1975 Wonder Bread card (middle row, left card) and the 1990 Pro Set card are my favorites from this lot of base cards.

Hendricks, a defensive end, starred at the University of Miami from 1966 to 1968, earning All-American honors twice and finishing 5th in Heisman voting in 1968.  Starting in 2002, the award given to the top defensive end in college football was named the Ted Hendricks award.

Hendricks was drafted in the 2nd round of the 1969 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Colts.  He played 15 seasons in the NFL, mostly for the Raiders.  Hendricks height of 6'7" and his freakish athletic ability allowed him to become a huge presence from a linebacker position against opposing passing offenses.  Hendricks deflected 95 passes in his career and recorded 26 interceptions.  His tall stature also made him the premier kick blocker in NFL history as he recorded (unofficially) 25 blocked kicks (punts and field goals) throughout his career.  Hendricks was voted to the Pro Bowl 8 times during his career and he is a 4-time Super Bowl champion.  Ted Hendricks was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1990.


I also picked up some serial numbered goodness of the Mad Stork as well:

2009 Donruss Classics /999
2009 Donruss Classics Silver /100
2009 Donruss Classics Gold /50
2008 Leaf Limited Bronze Spotlight /125
2008 Donruss Gridiron Gear Gold Performers /500


Of course I couldn't finish off the purchase without fitting in a relic card as well.  This 2006 National Treasures Canton Classics card shows off a small swatch of Raider black and is numbered out of 50.




No comments:

Post a Comment