December 27, 2011

Blasting Chrome: Highlights from the last 6 Packs

What a miserable morning here.  It's cold, rainy and windy.  A good ole Georgia winter's day and a perfect day to finish ripping into my blaster of 2011 Topps Chrome baseball.

Too many cards for me to scan so I chose the what I thought to be the best of the rest.

I'll start with the base cards, and I choose to show the players whom I believe had the best seasons out of all the base cards I pulled:




Although Pineda did not put up superstar numbers, this card was the best rookie card I pulled from the last 6 packs.  Pineda started out the season red hot going 6-2 in April and May with a 2.41 ERA and it earned him an All-Star appearance as a replacement.  He didn't fare so well the rest of the season but there is obvious potential with Pineda



Sandoval enjoyed a bounce back year after he had struggled during the 2010 season and if a broken bone in his hand hadn't sidelined him for a few weeks, his numbers would have looked even better.  Sandoval finished the season with a .315 average to go along with 23 homers and 70 RBI.  He also hit for the cycle on September 15th against the Rockies.



Pedroia is another guy that had a bounce back season in 2011 after injuries forced him to miss the majority of the 2010 season.  The Red Sox second baseman finished the year with 21 homers and 91 RBI (career highs) while batting with an impressive .307 average.  He also earned his second career Gold Glove Award in 2011.



The man of many uniforms, Cliff Lee, has found a home in Philly after playing for four different teams in 2009 and 2010.   Lee was dominant in 2011 but overshadowed (in my opinion) by fellow teammate Roy Halladay.  Lee finished with a record of 17-8 and an ERA of 2.40.  He also led the league in shutouts with 6 and held opponents to a paltry .229 batting average.



Of course I had to add a Braves card to the post to keep the Sad Panda away.  Uggla had a real roller coaster of a season in 2011.  He got off to a horrendous start by batting an atrocious .185 during the first half of the season.  However, Uggla got as hot as any hitter in the majors during the second half when he hit safely in 33 straight games setting an Atlanta Braves franchise record.  It was also the longest hitting streak in the Majors since Chase Utley hit in 35 straight during the 2006 season.  Overall, Uggla finished the year batting .233 with 36 homers and 82 RBI.


Now I move onto the best inserts/parallels from from the final packs.  Don't worry, I will spare you the "2011 MLB Year in Review" stuff I did for the base cards.


This is a Mauer Vintage Chrome insert.  I don't like these cards.  That is all



I am amazed at how much better the scan of this refractor looks over the regular chrome cards.


This scan is not as pretty as the Posey refractor, but it is an X-fractor.  I do take issue with the photo because I know Upton had a really good offensive season but he was one of the worst fielding outfielders this past season.  They should've use a photo of what Upton does best, hitting homers or getting plunked by opposing pitchers.


I guess I can consider this the "hit" of the box.  A Roy Halladay purple refractor numbered to 499.   The purple border must throw off my scanner because this card didn't scan nearly as nicely as the Posey.  Sorry, I'm just obsessed with masterpiece that is the scan of the Posey card.

3 comments:

  1. Are the Posey, Mauer, and Upton available for trade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Let me know what you have in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about 9 cards off your '11 Ginter want list (5 - AOM, 3 - FF, and 1 - MTMTF)?

    ReplyDelete