October 09, 2011

The WAR Set: A New #5



2011 Topps Heritage #5 Clayton Kershaw
6.9 Wins Above Replacement 


Year Tm W L ERA G GS CG SHO IP SO WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
2011 LAD 21 5 2.28 33 33 5 2 233.1 248 0.977 6.7 0.6 2.1 9.6 4.59
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 10/9/2011.



Clayton Kershaw's 2011 Topps Heritage card becomes the second 2011 card to make it into the WAR Set. Kershaw's Cy Young worthy 2011 season earned him a WAR rating of 6.9 which beat out Johan Santana's 6.4 WAR rating in 2008.  Kershaw led the National League in wins, ERA, strikeouts, WHIP, and hits per 9 innings.  He was also in the top ten in strikeouts per 9 innings, home runs per 9 innings, complete games, and shutouts.  Kershaw was chosen to his first all-star game in 2011.

Loves to pitch against Andres Torres:  2 for 19 with 6 strikeouts (.296 OPS)
Loathes to pitch against Albert Pujols:  9 for 20 with 3 doubles (1.177 OPS)



Comment Question for Contest Entries
How old were you when you started collecting cards? How did you get your start?


I didn't start collecting cards until 1991 at the ripe age of 12 years old.  A late start when compared to many collectors.  I had moved to Georgia in the midst of the Braves run from worst to first and was exposed to baseball fever and sports card collecting for the first time in my life.  Before that, none of my friends in Florida or North Carolina collected cards and the only sport I followed at the time was football.  I am still a bigger football fan than baseball fan but it was that magical 1991 season while living in Braves country that spawned my interest in the hobby. 

11 comments:

  1. I remember buying baseball cards when I was six. There was a little store on Western Avenue in Chicago (long since gone)about a block from where I lived. Packs were a nickel back then. "A nickel!" (Seinfeld)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't quite 10 years old when I first started buying cards, friends had bought some and when I saw them I was hooked. Nothing quite like holding your favorite players cards in your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 3 years old. I still remember the smell of the O-Pee-Chee wax packs with gum, while leaving the 7-11. My mom says that I memorized all of the names of the players on the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was 8 or 9. My dad hated sports, but I had a friend who introduced me to cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I had cards as a young lad, I didn't actually start collecting until I got back into the hobby last year at 21 years of age.

    I got dragged back in after attending a Kevin Love signing at my LCS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe it was the summer of 1992, when a friend showed me some baseball cards he had. I had only gone to my first game that May. I got really interested, and found the Topps packs for sale at the grocery store where I had bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trading cards in the past. I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my first cards were crazy cartoon cards, i was about 9 or 10. they had these monsters driving hot rods with HUGE stick shifts. i loved those cards.
    baseball came much later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1989 - so I was 10 (late birthday). Maybe late 1988. I think it "started" with a collectors kit through the Scholastic Book Club (which could be late '88), but the real start was a rack pack of 1989 Topps that April. I played with those cards every way I could think of - sorting them by number, team, alphabetically, position, you name it. I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was between 13 and 14. I remember buying 1986 Topps but it was 87 Topps baseball that I really started paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would occasionally buy packs when I was about 9 or 10 but never really saved them. I'd just look at them then throw them out or give them to a friend.

    I really got serious into collecting this Spring right when baseball season was about to start. (I was 23, not 24) There was a video on ESPN.com where a guy busted a pack of retail Topps and I was hooked from there. I'm very new to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started collecting as a 6 year old... My dad bought me an Astros team set when we were at an Astros game and well, that got the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete