October 01, 2011

The WAR Set: A New #1

2011 Topps #1 Ryan Braun
7.7 Wins Above Replacement


Year Age Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
2011 27 MIL 150 629 563 109 187 38 6 33 111 33 6 58 93 .332 .397 .597 .994
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 9/30/2011.


Now that the 2011 regular season is complete, cards from 2011 are now eligible to be added to the WAR set and Ryan Braun has booted Andruw Jones from the #1 card slot of the WAR set.  Braun posted a gaudy 7.7 WAR rating in 2011 which easily beat out Jones' 2006 rating of 6.5.

In 2011, Braun clubbed 33 homers and finished with an amazing .332 batting average.  He led the league in extra base hits, slugging percentage, and OPS.  He also finished in the top ten in batting average, on base percentage, runs, hits, total bases, doubles, homers, RBI, and stolen bases.  The Hebrew Hammer definitely put up some MVP caliber numbers in 2011 although a certain someone in Dodger blue may ultimately take that prize. 


Loves to hit against Tom Gorzelanny:  11 for 24 with 3 homers (1.497 OPS)
Loathes to hit against Joel Pineiro:  3 for 20 with 3 strikeouts (.390 OPS)



Comment Question for Contest Entries
If you were a Major League baseball player, what would be your batting/pitching entrance song?

10 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs of all time, Never Surrender by Triumph..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something by the Beastie Boys. Either Sabatoge or Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ben Folds, which seems like strange walk-up music, but maybe something like Rockin' The Suburbs. I like the Beastie Boys idea, but I'd try to go with something obscure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three Pistols - by The Tragically Hip. I've actually used this one as my walk-up song for my rec baseball league!

    ReplyDelete
  5. something within an awesome opening riff...I'm thinking Voodoo Chile by Hendrix

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's my first AB I'd want something to pump me up like T.I. or Metallica. The rest of my AB's would be country music from Wade Bowen or Randy Rogers band.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enter Sandman. It's the Hokies entrance song, so I would be paying homage to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I was playing for the Mariner's... it'd be the Decemberists song "The Mariner's Revenge"... otherwise, it'd be The Real Slim Shady... because I like it...

    ReplyDelete